Monday, October 6, 2014

Windows 10 "element not found" - explorer.exe error

I recently installed windows 10 preview on an old laptop (Dell Precision) which has an Nvidia Quadro 3000M video card.  After running windows update i was getting an error every time i tried to load any metro app including the feedback app.

Error: The error popped up a box saying Explorer.exe with text "element not found".

Fix: Disable the Optimus feature in the bois.

It appears to be a Nvidia optimus problem similar to the one that initially affected Windows 8 and most likely will not be fixed till the vendor puts out windows 10 specific drivers.

More info:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_tp-hardware/nvidia-optimus-not-working-properly/a059390d-dfc1-44aa-9a47-d2172d70933e

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/779669/nvidia-optimus-doesnt-work-with-windows-10-tech-preview/?offset=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

5 comments:

  1. I'm also receiving the same error as well. I'm also receiving an error launching any app which automatically crashes Windows and causes my PC to reboot leaving me able to do absolutely nothing. I have no dedicated card on my laptop and am running Intel HD 4000 series for graphics. Seems this isn't nVidia specific. The problem just started recently after the last preview build update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever find a solution for the intel drivers on Windows 10? I've got this exact same issue on my Surface Pro 3, so no other graphics to fall back to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting error : element not found when trying to open edge. Upgrade to windows 10 was great but now useless on my toshiba laptop. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. As of this morning when trying yo open an MP4 file, I am receiving the error message "Element Not Found". I have tried uninstalling and repairing Windows Essentials 2012, and restarting the p.c. but no difference. Any suggestions which will resolve this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find a solution? I just had this problem start up too

      Delete

Phoenix

I am resurrecting this tech blog for notes related to Azure Logic Apps with SAP.